Friday, May 14, 2010

Patrick Garner-Economist, "Global Order and the Historical Structure of Dar al-islam""

This report again deals with the topic of globalization. This author discusses historical Dar al-Islam and it's effect on globalization. Throughout the report the author is trying to identify whether or not the historical career of Dar al-Islam teaches us anything about a basic humane global system. Dar al-Islam was discussed as only being able to function as a unit to three fundamental principles: principle of patrial control, the principle of free movement, and the principle of cultural heteroglossia.

Extra Credit:
Bamyeh argues "globalization or imperialism"? The author indicates that globalization and imperialism are not the same and that these are the two choices. This is something that caught my attention in class and throughout the reading. It seems to me the Bamyeh is saying that imperialism can be a positive force when used correctly but it could also be irrational if used incorrectly. Also, I think that what Bamyeh is trying to say is that imperialism has worked in the past and could bring together global order in the future. I think that globalization is more of a loose type of global order and that imperialism is more of a structured global order.

This question was something that interested me from the reading. However, I am still unsure of if I am thinking about it correctly. What are the main differences between Globalization and Imperialism? Also, I am not really sure If I totally agree with Bamyeh. I do not think imperialism should be a choice in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment